Tuesday, May 6, 2014

D is for Diapers

Over the next few weeks I'm blogging through the alphabet. You can read more AtoZ posts by clicking here.

D is for Diapers

When IntelliGent was six months old, Dr. Dad and I took a big step and decided to start cloth diapering. He's been wearing the same diapers for the last two years. There are many reasons why we chose cloth.
IntelliGent's first cloth diaper

Saving Money

I'll admit, while not adding to land fills is a good thing, environmental concerns were not our number one reason for switching to cloth. We wanted to save money. Disposable diapers are so expensive. I was appalled at how quickly IntelliGent when through a big box. It seemed that we were buying diapers and wipes every week.

At first, I thought diapers were just a necessary evil, but then I took an honest look at our alternatives. Sure, setting up a diaper stash is a lot of money up front, but it is cheaper in the long run.

No Pins

A sample of our stash
When I was pregnant with IntelliGent I clearly remember my disparaging comments about how I would never use cloth diapers. I didn't want to deal with the mess. Reality check. Even with disposables I was dealing with the mess. There is nothing romantic about baby poo.

Thinking about cloth diapering always conjured images of stabbing my child with a pin. Not any more. Our cloth diapers have not pins, just a row of snaps to aid in sizing. Honestly, its as easy as putting on a disposable diaper. IntelliGent loves listening for all six snaps as I secure the diaper at his waist. Looking back, I wonder why I held such a prejudice against cloth. I was simply uninformed.


Baby Legs and Cloth Diapers
Cute Factor

One of the best things about cloth diapers is the colorful patters and solids available. These diapers aren't just something you hide under a child's pants, but often they become part of the outfit. My favorite accessory to go with cloth diapers are baby legs. These cute leggings add to already adorable outfits and make diaper changes a breeze.

I have never regretted my decision to go with cloth diapers, but after two years it is time to move on to a new phase. Yesterday, we took the first steps in breaking IntelliGent's dependence on diapers. Potty training is in full swing, and I am happy to announce it has been going very well.

Will I miss seeing that little bum in diapers? Yes, because they are so cute. Will I miss cleaning poo out of cloth diapers? Not at all.


Now the big question is, will he be day time potty trained before he starts K5?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you! I appreciate hearing what you have to say.