Tuesday, May 13, 2014

H is for Half

Thanks for stopping by. I'm currently blogging through the alphabet. Click on the link to read more of my homeschool AtoZ posts. Leave a comment; I'd love to hear what you have to say.

H is for Half

While IntelliGent constantly surprises me with his understanding of math concepts, I was dubious about teaching him about fractions in K4. I thought fractions were something to be taught in upper levels. But even fractions have a simple base that must be mastered before advanced concepts can be built on them.
Isaiah 28:10 - For precept must be upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little:
I was impressed at how quickly IntelliGent embraced the concept of half. It might have helped that we used one of his favorite snacks (graham crackers) to illustrate the concept. Once he understood what I was talking about, he was finding halves everywhere we looked. It has been a theme in our conversations, especially at meal times.

"Look, Mommy. My cracker was whole, now I have two halves."


I pray his love for learning continues as we build on the concepts introduced in K4.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you! I appreciate hearing what you have to say.